The Reducing Obesity Coalition (ROC) of St. Joseph County was established in the Fall of 2006. ROC strives to promote healthy lifestyles in St. Joseph County through the prevention and reduction of obesity in our community through collaboration, outreach, and education.
ROC currently is working in 4 key focus areas:
- In 2016, we will focus on developing and implementing a healthy cooking program that will encourage families to first cook at home, teach them how to cook if skills are limited, and then lastly, how to cook on a budget or with limited resources. We will do FREE “live” demos throughout the community on a monthly basis and develop YouTube videos that will highlight cooking basics to be viewed anytime, anywhere!
- Walking School Bus Program
- Currently we have six primary centers that offer their students a safe, fun way to get school while increasing physical activity. A walking school bus begins at a safe meeting spot and then children walk to school together with school staff, parents, and community leaders.
- ROC UR BODY Family Fun Fest
- ROC UR BODY is our annual event to raise awareness about childhood obesity and the local resources we have in our community to help residents to lead a balanced lifestyle. Usually held every September, we will be switching it up in 2016 and partnering with Downtown South Bend’s Kids Night Out, First Friday, in June.
- Let’s Move! City South Bend
- After becoming Indiana’s first all-gold Let’s Move! City, we have begun work on our Let’s Move! City All-Star application. These next steps include infrastructure and system changes to allow for the healthy choice to be the easy choice.
For more information on ROC, you can visit The Reducing Obesity Coalition of St. Joseph County or “Like” us on Facebook at Reducing Obesity Coalition.